Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Its called Liberty for a reason...

Ayah these people. In reference to my previous post I'm gonna give an update to the argument that is still raging over that hate speech. Let me give you a summary.

At a previous time in the recent past, two friends of mine both went and spraypainted over a Swastika and the word "Fuck" which had been painted on a elementary school playground. They both took offense to that because they are jewish and more importantly they are intelligent. However the argument raged on about what they did was a violation of rights or not.
My friends argued that it was hate speech and therefore not protected speech. However it was pointed out that the Constitution does not apply to speech which "incites an immediate harm towards citizens, or that incites violence against citizens." As much as it may seem that speech did not do such things. Then they argued that as it was a public place it was an invalid place for protected speech of that sort. This is true but it is not their place to remove such speech it was the school's. They argue that the Constitution tells the people that it is their duty to use armed force against their government if they ever believe that their government is not doing its job. However I may point out that no where in the Constitution of the United States of America is there such a clause. Trust me I read the Constitution often, there is not a clause in there which reserves the right of succession and rebellion. Then they argued that it was moral and right to do what they did. I will not argue their morals, but what they did was not right. To destroy anyone's right to speech is wrong, I don't care if it was Mother Theresa against Hitler, it is not right. Only when all men are given the same freedoms and all those freedoms are equally applied to all people can there be a just society. Just because the Swastika was offensive to some doesn't give them the right to go and destroy it. I as a son of a Chinese family, I find any symbols of Communism or of Imperial Japan extremely offensive even more than the Jews with the Swastika. However as a lover of Liberty I will tolerate any such symbols unless they were on my property, then I would destroy the symbols and probably the person who wrote them down. However if they were not on my property I would not be able to follow the Constitution that I love and hold dear and still destroy the offensive speech. Those who restrict other people's liberty while maintaining their own are no better than the worst of tyrants. The Bill of Rights was not ment to protect any religion or view from individuals, it is there to prevent any legislation regarding religion or speech, "which prevents the free excersise thereof"by the government. All rights are the reasoned declarations of self and the power of the individual against the collective. Reason is what creates personal morality, without reason there are no morals. Therefore while rights are universal, morals are personal. The socail contract that you take with society is the protection that the individual has against other individuals. Because society as a collective being, cannot reason as one, it cannot have one set of morals. Therefore morals are not reasons to breach the socail contract. That is my view, and I will defend it. If you disagree then declare my work invalid. If you agree then declare my work reasonable. If you are confused then ask for clarification from me, I do not appreciate others trying to interpret my work when they do not know what I wish to say.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, its zack(slaterson),
how can you not agree with the fact that there were legal and moral boundries crossed? there definitely were. and how can you not agree with the fact that this is more about morality than law? If this were simply a piece sign in the begining, not as many people would care at all, however, because it is an immoral symbol, it prooves that this is more about moral issues.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home